Negative Characteristics: They can inflict a nasty sting if provoked.
Redeeming Characteristics: Top predator in the garden devouring many insect pests.
- Be safe, wasps will gang up on you to protect their nest.
- Wear a hat/veil and thick clothing. Don't climb ladders to access the nest.
- Choose the right product for the nest - sprays if you can see the nest, - powders if you can't
- Watch the nest for several minutes before you approach in order to work out their flight path.
- Move slowly and avoid the wasps main flight path to and from the nest.
NEXT WORKING DAY DELIVERY - LOWEST PRICES - BEST HELP AND ADVICE - KITS AVAILABLE BELOW
Where are they found?
Wasps are generally beneficial insects because in the process of raising their young they consume large numbers of garden pest insect larvae, and decomposing carrion. They also consume carbohydrates in the form of fruit and the nectar of flowers, thereby performing a pollination service.
However, they do damage considerable amounts of fruit such as pears, apples, damsons and plums. In the process of nest building they also do minor damage the fabric of buildings and fences.
Wasps do become a major nuisance towards the end of summer when they search avidly for anything sweet and aromatic.