What are carpet beetles?
Before we learn how to get rid of carpet beetles, let’s look at what one is. Carpet beetles are oval-shaped and difficult to spot as they are only 2 to 4mm long. As is so often the case, it is the larva that does all the damage. These are mostly brown, with white or yellow markings and are covered in short, bristly hairs, hence their well-known ‘woolly bear’ moniker.
What causes carpet beetles?
Adult beetles dwell mainly outdoors, but after mating, the female searches out a place to lay her eggs. A prime location is a disused birds nest that may be in your loft or lodged in a chimney, or some loose blankets or carpets that lie undisturbed.
These places provide an abundant supply of food for the developing larvae, whose diet focuses on any natural material such as hair, feathers, wool, cotton or linen.
Once the supply runs out the larvae will search for food anywhere in your home to satisfy their voracious appetites. Considering that the larval stage can last up to three years, an enormous amount of damage can be done in this time.
How to prevent carpet beetles?
The 6 best ways to prevent carpet beetles are by;
- Removing potential food sources
- Clearing eaves and gutters of debris
- Throw out any unwanted carpets and blankets
- Store natural clothing in plastic and make sure it is clean
- Seal up any cracks and crevices
- Keep vacuuming, paying attention to carpet edges and cleaning under furniture and long curtains.
How to get rid of carpet beetles
- Remove any pets from the room you are about to treat.
- Apply Residex P to the underside of the carpet, particularly around the edges and beneath the furniture. The product is in a puffer pack for ease of use.
- If you prefer an insecticide free method of control, Oa2ki Powder is perfect, apply as above.
- Protector C can be applied in the same way to the edges and underside of your carpets, but can also be sprayed directly onto the beetles and their larvae when visible.
- If you also use Carpet Beetle Smoke Bombs such as the SX Mini-Smoke, follow the instruction that is supplied with them. These are useful as the smoke permeates places that are hard to reach with powders and sprays. We offer a number of different sized smoke bombs choose the one suitable for your room size.
- If you prefer there is an easy to use all in one carpet beetle control kit that contains all you need along with full instructions.
- It is advisable not to vacuum for a week after applying insecticide and if infestation is still apparent to give a further application.
Best Carpet Beetle Control Products
Insecto Carpet Beetle/Moth Smoke Bomb 3.5g
This is a ready to use Carpet Beetle Smoke Generator providing highly effective control of Carpet Beetles or Carpet Moths.
Carpet Beetle Control Kit
This Carpet Beetle Control Kit is a handy kit containing everything you need to deal with any carpet beetle infestation in your home.
Protector C Carpet Beetle Spray 1Ltr
Protector C is a ready to use residual insecticide trigger spray containing cypermethrin at 0.09% w/w. It is highly effective against carpet beetles and leaves no staining or smell once dry.
Organ X Carpet Beetle Powder 450g
Organ X Organic Insect Powder 450g is a high quality diatomaceous earth, comprising of the fossilised shells of diatoms.
Dealing with a carpet beetle infestation can be difficult but if you follow the steps correctly and use alongside the recommended products you will see successful results. You can also check out our full range of carpet beetle control products here. If you have any further questions please feel free to get in touch with a member of our team.